- Woods will take house a $15 million prize from this system that rewards golfers for his or her reputation. McIlroy will get $12 million for his second place end.
- The general bonus pool grew to $100 million for 20 gamers this season, up from $50 million in this system’s first yr.
- The PIP was calculated utilizing metrics following 5 standards – web searches, media earned (information articles mentioning a participant’s title), social media, TV sponsor publicity and normal consciousness – however the formulation is ready to vary subsequent yr.
This system was designed as a bonus mechanism permitting high gamers to earn extra primarily based on their play and off-course metrics like social media scores. However the woods already won it with zero PGA Tour 2021 begins. Nor has that deterred gamers threatening to affix rival excursions: Half of final yr’s high 10 golfers now play for LIV Golf, together with Phil Mickelson, who completed second. in 2021.
Woods completed 229th within the FedExCup standings this season. He was forty seventh on the Masters – his first official match since struggling critical leg accidents in a automobile accident in 2021 – missed the reduce at The Open Championship and withdrew from the PGA Championship after the third spherical.
In its new kind, a part of the sweeping changes to the PGA Tour introduced for 2023, the PIP is not going to use social media attain as a part of the formulation. In keeping with Golf.com, three gamers who didn’t qualify for a bonus underneath the 2022 standards however would qualify underneath the brand new standards will nonetheless obtain bonuses: Hideki Matsuyama, Cameron Younger and Sam Burns will every obtain $2 million, the identical as 2022. No. 16-20 finishers.
How will the 2023 adjustments have an effect on the rankings?
Upcoming adjustments to the PIP program in 2023 ought to present extra readability to the outcomes. Social media as a marker has at all times been murky and created anomalies.
These adjustments, nevertheless, possible will not diminish Woods’ vary. In addition to being by far probably the most well-known particular person within the sport, he’s more likely to proceed enjoying sporadically in 2023. He’s already engaged to play on the Hero World Problem within the Bahamas, which runs from December 1-4. So long as he’s comparatively seen, Woods will proceed to dominate the PIP. In actuality, he might keep within the shadows and possibly nonetheless win in a waltz.
This yr’s PIP program is already underway, having began in October. The brand new ranking will use “normal inhabitants consciousness” and “golf fan consciousness” to exchange the Q ranking and social media.
LIV defectors resembling Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka and Bubba Watson would have all possible landed within the PIP high 20, however are now not eligible. — quinn
2022 PIP Rankings and Full Payouts
- Wooden ($15 million)
- McIlroy ($12 million)
- Jordan Spieth ($9 million)
- Justin Thomas ($7.5 million)
- Jon Rahm ($6 million)
- Scottie Scheffler ($5.5 million)
- Xander Schauele ($5 million)
- Matt Fitzpatrick ($5 million)
- Will Zalatoris ($5 million)
- Tony Finau ($5 million)
- Collin Morikawa ($3 million)
- Shane Lowry ($3 million)
- Kevin Kisner ($3 million)
- Max Homa ($3 million)
- Billy Horschel ($3 million)
- Rickie Fowler ($2 million)
- Adam Scott ($2 million)
- Jason Day ($2 million)
- Patrick Cantlay ($2 million)
- Viktor Hovland ($2 million)
- Matsuyama ($2 million) — would have ranked eleventh with new standards
- Younger ($2 million) – would have positioned fifteenth
- Burns ($2 million) – would have positioned twentieth
(Picture: Michael Madrid/USA In the present day)
#Tiger #Woods #edges #Rory #McIlroy #win #Participant #Influence #program #million #prize #report