Semi-detached home on Innisfil Road has had many house owners and occupants through the years and is listed on the municipal heritage register
This ongoing collection from Barrie Historic Archives curator Deb Exel reveals outdated images from the gathering and one from the current day, together with the story behind them.
2-4 Innisfil Road
Every picture (or home!) tells a narrative – generally two. This nice double home on Innisfil Road has a narrative or two to inform.
Innisfil Road is called after the township of Innisfil, derived from the poetic title of Eire, Innisfail, which implies “Island of Future”. This house resides on what was Perry’s former property within the Historic District West Village neighborhood of Barrie, an space that developed because of industrial growth within the early to mid-Twentieth century.
John Perry and his spouse arrived in Innisfil from Eire round 1826, constructing a log tavern the next 12 months in what would change into Perry’s Corners, renamed Cookstown in 1847. However years earlier, in 1837, the Perrys had moved to Barrie and constructed a home on the west aspect of John Road (now Maple Avenue), simply south of Elizabeth Road (Dunlop Road West). Innisfil Road was previously often known as Jane Road, stated to have been named after John Perry’s daughter, Jane.
The semi-detached home on Innisfil Road has had many house owners and occupants through the years. One of many first homeowners of the property was James Durham, who operated the primary steam-powered sawmill positioned close to Bradford Road.
Previous data point out that transactions for the sale of this property and others that had been a part of the Perry property had been made in sterling. Charles Luck, son of Crown Hill pioneer and instructor, Edward Luck, as soon as made his house at 2 Innisfil Road. Luck had been a farmer for a while earlier than getting into the wheelwright’s commerce, earlier than opening a wheelwright’s store and blacksmith’s store at Crown Hill.
Luck then ran a lodge on Penetang Street for a number of years earlier than shifting to Barrie round 1881. Now on the town, Luck labored as a carpenter for george ball to Ball Planing Mill Co for 30 years. Mr Luck was dwelling close to Elizabeth Road when he died and was buried at Crown Hill.
One other occupant of the northern half of the home was Allister McHardy Wattie, son of Charles Forbes Wattie Sr., an early pioneer in Vespra Township whose historic stone home nonetheless stands on Freeway 26 on the street to Minesing. Mary Harris provides that “in 1902 he (Allister) married Margaret Maud Teesdale and in 1906 the couple moved to western Canada. Someday after 1916 they returned to Ontario and lived on this home in 1921.”
Across the identical time, Harris provides, the southern half of the home “was the house of two widowed sisters, Rose Stewart and Cora McArthur. Mrs. Stewart, the proprietor, was born Margaret Rose Fisher in 1857, the daughter of Edward Fisher of Fisher’s Nook, West Gwillimbury Township. She married bricklayer George Stewart in 1903. Her eldest sister, Cora, had married Donald McArthur of Bond Head.
This well-maintained house is usually described as Victorian, however the good-looking two-and-a-half-story house with its beneficiant porch and ornamental woodwork advantages from numerous architectural options which will have impressed native builders on the time.
The present proprietor of two Innisfil Road says the development may be described as “wood posts and beams with proof of wood pegs or dowels; the partitions are wooden body with plaster and remaining tower on the second flooring, all dimensional wooden, with a poured rubble basis. The wood exterior cladding below the present brick suggests the potential of a smaller authentic home which was later enlarged and clad in crimson brick.
Renovations revealed proof of an proprietor’s affiliation with the Grand Trunk Railway.
Over time, the view from the comfy veranda of this charming outdated home has modified; initially it ignored agricultural park and the out of doors winter hockey rink, the West Quarter School and Barrie Central Collegiate. When the exhibition middle was moved, the General Electric the manufacturing facility was constructed throughout the road, in addition to the brand new Dunlop Street Arena.
The property at 2 Innisfil Road is on the Municipal Heritage Register’s Record of Cultural Heritage Properties.
#Nice #double #home #wealthy #historical past